Why You May Want an Air-Source Heat Pump in 2020
If you’re looking for ways to cut ties with natural gas or other hydrocarbon-based fuels in order to heat your home, air-source heat pumps could be the solution for you. These energy-efficient heating and cooling agents steer clear of any sort of fuel combustion, which ultimately means cleaner air circulating through your home.
When air-source heat pumps hit the market, they were mainly targeted to areas with moderate climates that rarely dipped below freezing. However, air-source heat pump technology has significantly advanced in recent years, and according to the Department of Energy, they are now considered an effective and efficient space heating solution, even in colder regions. Further, when entire units are replaced in these colder, Mid-Atlantic areas, the Northeast Energy Efficiency Partnership found that homeowners could save up to $459 annually. So, what makes air-to-air heat pumps an ideal addition to your home?
How Do Air-Source Heat Pumps Work?
Air-to-air heat pumps (we also call them air-source heat pumps, or ASHPs) operate by using what’s called a heat exchanger. This essentially extracts heat from outside air and moves it into the home through an internal system (or vice versa for cooling in summer). The most versatile aspect of an ASHP is that it can be installed using existing ductwork in a home or in a ductless mini-split configuration. Mini-splits allow you to utilize a central condenser and wall-mounted units in any of the rooms you want to cool or heat.
Benefits of Air-to-Air Heat Pumps
Air-source heat pumps come with an array of perks, from decarbonizing your home to saving money on your monthly energy bill. Ultimately, air-source heat pumps boast the following benefits:
- Efficient heating. With an air-source heat pump, you can expect up to 3 times higher heating efficiency in your home.
- Easy navigation. Switching between heating and cooling is simple, so you can adjust your indoor temperature quickly.
- Longer service life at a lower cost. Air-to-air heat pumps are not only more affordable, they also last a long time (upwards of 20 years with regular maintenance).
- Low maintenance. Speaking of maintenance, while air-to-air heat pumps do benefit from annual, preventive maintenance, they have fewer components and are easier to inspect for problems than more complex heating and cooling systems.
- Quiet operation. ASHPs are inherently quieter during operation than fossil fuel-burning systems.
- Improved indoor air quality. Not only are air-to-air heat pumps environmentally friendly, they do not emit any harmful gases or contaminants into the air, meaning you can breathe easier in your home.
- Consistent comfort. Air-to-air heat pumps offer great dehumidification and air purification, improving your home’s overall indoor air quality. They also refrain from recycling air and are a great choice for household members who suffer from allergies or asthma.
Increase Energy Efficiency in Your Home Through Air-to-Air Heat Pump Installation Today!
If you’re interested in learning more about how an air-to-air heat pump could save you money while providing you with consistent, eco-friendly heating and cooling in your home, look no further than the knowledgeable team at Suburban HVAC! Our highly trained technicians have the expertise to flawlessly install your new ASHP system and provide any needed maintenance or repairs over the years.
Our team is NATE-, QIV-, and EPA-certified, and we are proud to be one of only a handful of New England companies to have received the prestigious Carrier President’s Award for Excellence. We are committed to bringing you the most efficient heating and cooling solutions available to guaranteed your home is comfortable year-round!