Back to blog
When to Replace Your Home’s Central Air Conditioner
Your air conditioner works hard to keep your home comfortable, especially during the warm summer months. But if you’ve noticed that your AC hasn’t been operating at the efficiency levels you’d like, it may be time to consider why. Often, you just need AC maintenance or minor repairs. However, if your system is reaching its service life expiration date (typically 10-15 years), it may be time to start researching potential upgrades.
Signs Your AC Unit Needs to Be Replaced
With summer just around the corner, now is a great time to consider replacing your AC unit if it isn’t working properly. Fortunately, there are several telltale signs your system may be struggling to perform, including:
- Lack of cool air or poor airflow. This is usually the most obvious sign that your AC unit needs attention. While repairs or maintenance for problems such as clogged ductwork or piping could resolve the issue, if the problem persists, you’ll need the help of a professional to determine if it’s time to replace your AC unit.
- Moisture buildup. While all AC units create moisture to some degree, this moisture should not be leaking around your unit. This can cause the system to underperform, and if left unattended it can certainly shorten the life span of your system.
- Odd noises coming from your AC. If your AC unit is noisier than it used to be or making grinding, squeaking, or thumping sounds, this is not a typical indication of aging. If your AC unit is making loud noises, you’ll need the help of a professional to determine if the system can be repaired or needs to be replaced.
- Strange smells around your unit. In the same way that loud noises should not be coming from your AC system, neither should bad smells. This could indicate a serious problem such as mold, mildew, or even an electrical issue, if the smell is burnt/smokey. Contact your local HVAC technician right away if you notice foul smells around your AC.
- Spikes in your energy bill. Your AC should be running at a consistent level of efficiency, so if you suddenly notice a higher than usual electric bill, you may need to have a professional inspect your system to rule out problems. It could be that your AC unit is working harder than usual to cool your home, in which case a replacement will save you money long term.
If you notice any of these symptoms in your central air conditioning system, don’t stress! Contact the local professionals at Suburban HVAC for prompt solutions and comprehensive air conditioning services.
Call Suburban HVAC today at 781-769-1515 or schedule your AC unit services online!
Professional & Affordable AC Replacement Services
Making the decision to replace your current AC system doesn’t have to be as stressful as you think. The cooling experts at Suburban HVAC will guide you through the process, every step of the way, making sure you have plenty of options and that you understand the benefits of each potential new unit you’re considering.
We will factor in your home’s size, cooling needs, and your budget so you can feel comfortable selecting a new central air conditioning system for your home. We also offer flawless AC installation, ensuring an optimal service life for your new AC replacement unit.
If your air conditioner is no longer keeping up with your home’s cooling needs, or if you notice any of the above signs indicating a problem, don’t hesitate to contact our team today! Give us a call at 781-769-1515 or contact us online. We are committed to helping you select and install the perfect new AC system for your home.